Job Title: Field Safety Specialist
Location: TBD, US (Primary)
Job Type: Regular Full-Time
Category: Health & Safety
# of Hires Needed: 1
Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST) is a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada. We are looking for a full-time Field Safety Specialist with a location TBD. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
This is a new position and we anticipate the job to be 50% in the field and 50% in the professional office environment, however those percentages are subject to change.
Please click here to see what benefits WEST offers!
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I initiatives
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
- Safe and happy working environment
The Field Safety Specialist will provide full time safety support to field staff under the supervision of the Health and Safety Manger to the operations of WEST. The work location of this position will vary between office and field-based locations. This position will help drive safe work habits, safety culture, and safety mindset with WEST field personnel. In addition, the Field Safety Specialist will strive to reduce injuries and claims by monitoring and evaluating safe work conditions and opportunities for improvement on the jobsite and will ensure that field jobsites comply with WEST safety protocol and procedures. The Field Safety Specialist will provide coaching and mentoring with the goal of continuous improvement in vehicle safety performance as well as mitigating safety concerns and hazards. The Field Safety Specialist will work with the safety team to continuously promote a positive and safe work culture at WEST.
- Conducts incident investigations and incident reviews with employees
- Periodically attend field weekly safety meetings and present safety strategies and solutions
- Ensures field safety compliance for employees, equipment, and facilities through routine assessments and audits
- Participates and provides training in project kickoff meetings or orientations.
- Reviews Job Safety Analysis (JSAs) or Field Safety Plans (FSAs) to ensure they are complete and accurate for the workplace
- Conducts safe driving coaching, audits, and feedback sessions with Field Technicians
- Strives for continuous improvement of safety programs and KPI performance by regular review of company accident statistics
- Train and mentor temporary seasonal field staff with little to no off-road driving experience
- Observe safety behavior and coach others in the field to improve overall safety performance
- Evaluate hazardous conditions and practices and develop controls or mitigations as they arise
- Work with trade and professional associations to promote goals and objectives in the health and safety area that affect company business
- Establish project target areas and long-range accident prevention and cost-control objectives
- Audits client contracts to ensure the environmental, health and safety policy, procedures and training meet contract requirements
- Actively engaged in all workers compensation claims associated with assigned projects
- Support the Health and Safety Manager
- Stay current with latest OSHA or other pertinent regulatory regulations through ongoing training and seminars
- Support Canada and other countries where WEST conducts business
- Continuously maintain positive safety influence by recognizing employees who exhibited safe behaviors through the WEST Safety Wins program
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
The successful candidate must be a self-starter who possesses:
- CHST, OHST, CSP preferred or a B.S. from an accredited occupational safety program
- 3 – 8 years of experience in Field Safety. Preferably experience in wind, solar, off-road field sites
- Strong ability to mentor, coach and teach field personnel safe mitigation technique’s with a professional calm demeanor
- Ensure both WEST and client protocols are being effectively applied in the field
- Effectively communicate field audit performance to Senior Managers, PM’s, FC’s, and the Safety Manager
- Strong ability to research various agencies, associations, and utilize other subject matter expertise at WEST to stay current in industry safety improvements
- Ability to critically think through incident reports and apply fair and effective accountability measures
- Effectively be a resource for field personal with the ability to answer questions in a calm professional demeanor
- Understands all field work conducted at WEST and the hazards associated with it
- Excellent ability to provide verbal or written reports with a consistently high level of accuracy
- Ability to prioritize work, handling multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to operate computers, keyboards and other peripheral equipment
- Ability and willingness to travel including:
- Flying commercially to states were field projects are located
- Hotel stays
- Adequate physical fitness and ability to:
- Walk several miles in the field with our wildlife technicians at times
- Ascend and descend challenging geography
- Work in harsh weather conditions at varying times throughout the day and night
- Drive large pickup trucks several miles
- Bend or stoop as needed for observing wildlife, identifying hazards, and making observations
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
If interested apply here.